Child Care Resource and Referral Agency
Reach for the Stars
Reach for the Stars was developed to help parents identify quality child care programs more easily. The Department of Human Services requires that licensed child care programs meet additional quality criteria in order to be rated with two-or-three stars.
- Two- and three-star programs offer a better environment for children to learn and grow.
- Star programs offer developmentally appropriate learning environments which promote cognitive, social, and emotional development for each individual child.
- Space for children is arranged in interest areas to appeal to specific age groups and to facilitate a variety of activities, including block building, dramatic play, manipulative play, art, and book reading.
- Teaching staff and home providers continue to receive additional training in child development annually, including pediatric first aid.
- Three-star programs are nationally accredited and meet two-star quality criteria.
"Mira a las Estrellas"
Este programa se desarrollo para ayudar a los padres a localizar cuidado infantil de calidad mas facilmente. El Departamento de Servicios Humanos (DHS), requiere que los programas de cuidado infantil con licencia cumplan con ciertos requisitos de calidad para poder obtener el nivel de 2 y 3 estrellas.
Los programas con 2 y 3 estrellas ofrecen un mejor ambiente para que los ninos crezcan y aprendan.
Ofrecen actividades de acuerdo al nivel de desarrollo de los ninos y que promueven las areas cognitiva, social y emocional de cada nino.
El espacio se distribuye en diferentes areas de interes como: bloques, arte, lectura, etc.
Los proveedores de cuidado infantil reciben entrenamiento continuo, incluyendo primeros auxilios para ninos.
Los programas con el nivel de 3 estrellas se acreditan nacionalmente.
(Information from Department of Human Services, Division of Child Care) www.okdhs.org/childcare/
TOP TEN REASONS to REACH FOR THE STARS
10. The higher rates paid to two and three star facilities can be significant over a full year of care.
9. Two and three star centers receive twice as many conference vouchers as one star programs.
8.Two and three star centers receive 10 extra bonus points when applying for a child care improvement grant.
7. The T.E.A.C.H. scholarship program helps teachers pay for tuition, books, travel,and substitute costs to attend school and also provides a bonus. To qualify, you must operate a center in which subsidy children are at least 10% of the licensed capacity.
6. Two year colleges will make child development coursework more available than ever, with counseling and support provided by Early Childhood Scholar Coordinators. The coordinators will guide you through the process to make your educational experience more worthwhile.
5. The required director training provides the opportunity to network with peers.
4. Reaching for higher quality brings you closer to national accreditation guidelines and becoming a three star facility.
3. You will receive a free evaluation of your program to assess strengths and opportunities for improvement.
2. Parents are seeking out two and three star child care programs for their children.
1. You owe it to yourself, your teachers, your parents and your children to grow professionally and provide the very best care possible!
Department of Human Services
Division of Child Care
P.O. Box 25352 OKC, OK 73125
or call: (800) 347-2276
or visit the web site listed above!
To learn more about Stars contact Oklahoma DHS or the Child Care Resource & Referral Agency TODAY!