Advanced Program Certification

The certification officer at East Central University must sign and signify program completion in order for candidates to be allowed to add advanced program areas to an existing certificate.  The Oklahoma State Department of Education will not process the application until the appropriate signature indicating program completion has been secured.

Candidates seeking certification related to advanced programs School Counseling, School Psychometrist or School Psychologist must hold a current Oklahoma Teaching Certificate or include documentation that they have applied for certification through the Alternative Certification process.  Those candidates seeking a certificate in school administration who have not completed a master's degree in school administration or its equivalent, must also seek approval for an alternative certificate for school administration.

Candidates applying for any advanced certification program should include copies of any required state tests.  Often the university does not receive scores.  It is the candidate's responsibility to provide ECU with a copy of their score(s) in order to expedite the processing of their application.

The Oklahoma State Department of Education can provide information about the Alternative Certification process.  (405- 521-3337)

For more information about these issues please contact the Dean for the College of Education and Psychology who also serves as the certification officer for ECU.   Dr. Brenda Sherbourne, Dean, may be contacted by phone at 580-559-5350 or by email at