WELCOME to the COLLEGE of HEALTH and SCIENCES
Welcome to the College of Health and Sciences at East Central University. We are delighted that you have decided to visit our home page and believe that you will find interesting opportunities to become involved either as a student, alumnus, and/or a supporter of our programs. To this end, the faculty and staff of the college are eager to assist you.
The College of Health and Sciences houses the disciplines that study all aspects of natural, mathematical, and health sciences and their applications. Students can gain knowledge and skills within each of these fields, becoming informed citizens that can effectively serve society as teachers, researchers, medical professionals, inventors, computer programmers, and numerous other professionals. New horizons are explored and explained through critical thought, investigative proficiency, and effective communication in the ethical pursuit of knowledge.
The faculty members of the College of Health and Sciences invite you to join us in this “Journey of Innovation and Discovery” as we pursue solutions to some of today’s most difficult challenges. A degree in a science discipline will open many more doors than you may realize, and our graduates are in high demand. At ECU, you will receive excellent preparation for your future career and also will become better prepared to use the fields of health and science as you serve the community around you.
If any of this intrigues you, we would like to talk with you about the possibilities associated with a degree in a field of science. Please browse the college’s website and feel free to contact any of the individuals in your area of interest. These are exciting times at East Central University and, specifically, in the College of Health and Sciences. We invite you to be a part of the future here and become involved in an excitement that can be seen and felt on your first visit to campus.
Thank you for stopping by and I look forward to getting to know you!
Carl D. Gilbert, Ph.D.
Dean, College of Health and Sciences
The mission of the College of Health and Sciences is to foster a learning environment in which students, faculty, staff, and community interact to educate students in the study of the natural sciences, technology, human-environment interaction, and health care through excellence in teaching, research, creative activities, and service.
The College of Health and Sciences acknowledges three areas of importance to fulfill its mission. These are to:
- provide a high quality and varied undergraduate curriculum in the natural sciences and health related fields. This is achieved through the:
- development of courses that foster intellectual development and critical thinking skills through the incorporation of learning from general education courses required for the baccalaureate degree; and
- development of curriculums that prepare students for entry into professional careers, graduate study or professional schools.
- support of excellence in teaching, research, and other creative activity. This will require:
- the recruitment and retention of high quality, creative and dedicated faculty;
- administrative support of faculty initiatives in pursuit of external funding resources; and
- the ongoing improvement of classroom, laboratory facilities and equipment used to achieve program goals.
- encouragement of public and professional service by students and faculty within the College. This goal is achieved through:
- participation in local, state, and regional outreach activities;
- participation in local, state, regional, and national professional organizations associated with the academic discipline; and
- fostering intellectual pursuits that challenge and expand the boundaries of traditional academic knowledge and structures.