The Social Work Program
The Social Work education program prepares competent and effective generalist social work professionals for entry into direct professional practice positions with individuals, families, groups, communities, and organizations.
Social work is a profession for those with a strong desire to help improve people’s lives. Social workers:
- assist people by helping them cope with issues in their everyday lives, deal with their relationships, and solve personal and family problems;
- help clients who face a disability or a life-threatening disease or a social problem, such as inadequate housing, unemployment, or substance abuse;
- assist families that have serious domestic conflicts, sometimes involving child or spousal abuse;
- conduct research, advocate for improved services, engage in system design or are involved in planning or policy development (NASW.org).
The Social Work Program has been nationally accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) since 1984. The curriculum prepares its graduates for generalist practice through the following courses:
- Intro to Social Work & Social Welfare
- Field Work Studies in Social Work
- Interviewing Techniques
- Human Behavior & the Social Environment I and II
- Case Management Practice
- Group Processes & Practice
- Social Work Practice I and II
- Social Welfare Policy & Services
- Research Methods in Social Work
- Internship in Social Work
- Integrative Seminar in Social Work
So what kind of job can I get with a social work degree?
- Children & Families: child welfare, family counseling and case management
- Gerontology: services to older adults
- Mental Health: counseling, substance abuse, court programs, developmentally disabled & case management
- Medical Health: hospitals, hospice, home health, rehabilitation, nursing/assisted living centers and public health
- Education: schools and communities
- Military: VA hospitals and VA centers
- Advocacy: social action and legislative policy
Social Work Program
Be a Social Change Agent!
Should you choose to accept it, the MISSION of SOCIAL WORK is about: CARING for people who are vulnerable; COUNSELING with those who need help; & CHANGING individuals, families and communities. (Morales, Sheafor & Scott, 2012)
Have a Special Interest in Working with Children?
Check out the Child Welfare Professional Enhancement Program (CWPEP), which provides $ in return for employment in OKDHS Child Welfare.
Have a Special Interest in Working with Older Adults?
Check out gerontology—one of the fastest growing areas of social work! New career opportunities abound with this population.
From children to older adults, social workers help!
Our faculty care about your education and preparation as a B.S.W. generalist social work professional. Social Work classes are offered in both Ada and McAlester.
Connect with us!