The ECU Music Department believes that we have a unique and important role to play in Oklahoma music. Our graduates can be found throughout the state and beyond employed as band and choral directors, music teachers, performers, composers, and music scholars. Our degree program offers a variety of areas of musical instruction, including concentrations in teacher certification and music business.
ECU Music Department faculty care about their students! We are committed to providing a solid musical foundation for all students as well as offering professional training that will help students achieve success in their musical and academic careers.
All students, regardless of major, can participate in various ensembles including the Pride of Tigerland Marching Band; Symphonic, Jazz, and Pep Bands; Woodwind and Brass Ensembles; ECU Singers; and University Chorale. Students may also audition for Opera and Musical Theatre productions and the ECU Faculty, Students, and Friends Composer Concerts. Private vocal, instrumental, keyboard and strings lessons are also available along with studies in composition.
Top 10 benefits of choosing a Music Major at ECU!
- Music Scholarships available throughout student's academic career at ECU.
- Small class size with nationally and internationally recognized faculty.
- Free music tutoring for all students in their music studies.
- Opportunity to collaborate on interdisciplinary projects with students in other School of Fine Arts majors.
- Music Technology Lab with iMacs and PCs loaded with current music software: Sibelius, Finale, Garage Band, Pyware, and MacGAMUT.
- Free attendance at professional concerts and performances at the university and many performance opportunities for students.
- Participation in two student organizations: Kappa Kappa Psi, the National Honorary Band Fraternity, and the National Association for Music Education (NAfME).
- Modern classrooms in the beautiful Hallie Brown Ford Fine Arts Center with performance center, Ataloa Theatre, and television and audio recording studio.
- Fun times together--Band and choir tours and special fundraisers. Check out the ECU Chorale's fundraiser "Choraloween" in the ECU Photo Gallery!
- Travel! ECU Music ensembles and students have recently traveled to Italy; Washington D.C.; Monterey, CA; Chicago; Austin, TX; Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO; and even OKC Thunder games!
We would love to have the chance to visit with you by phone, email, or in person about taking the first steps in becoming a Music Major at East Central University! If you are interested in learning more about ECU's Department of Music or scheduling an on-campus visit, please contact us today. We hope to see you soon!
- To educate students for lives of service and contribution as teachers, performers, composers and scholars;
- To provide and nurture a nucleus of musical life for the community;
- To educate the university student population regarding music's intrinsic value as a part of the human experience and its central role in human culture; and
- To mutually encourage one another in professional growth and attainment.
East Central University is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music. The requirements for entrance and for graduation are in accordance with the published standards of the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.