Mass Communication: Mass Media
How often do you watch TV? Do you have a favorite song on the radio that you sing along to every time it is on? Do you go to the movie theater often? If you do, thank a Mass Media major!
The Mass Communication degree with a concentration in Mass Media prepares students to pursue careers in the ever-changing world of converged media. Mass Media majors learn how to navigate the worlds of print, broadcast, and news media through theoretical perspectives and with hands-on activities. Coursework includes:
- Audio Production–Explores multiple aspects of industry level productions in sound recording, music recording, and sound overlays.
- Digital Publishing–Adhering to design theory, students utilize the latest software focusing on the creation of both print and digital designs.
ECU maintains a subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud allowing students access to the latest releases of
- Photography–Students will learn the technical and formal aspects of digital photography and apply coursework to hands on, real world experience.
- Natural lighting
- Studio lighting and equipment
- Contemporary trends
- Industry professionals
- Adobe editing software
- Alternative processes
- Creation of images for multiple genres spanning from documentary production to conceptual art practices.
- Professional writing–Students produce stories to be utilized in all aspects of news dissemination and script writing.
- Video Production–Explores multiple aspects of industry level productions including journalism, documentary production, cinematography, music video, recording industry, live sound and more.
Mass Comm majors often participate in student organizations such as the Audio Visual Club, Club PRAD (ad/pr) and the Picturesque Photography Club as well as ECTV's production of the "The Paper Lantern Lounge." Majors also spend much of their time in our beautiful labs.
Do you watch television? Do you listen to the radio and sing along to your favorite songs? Do you frequent your local movie theatre? If so, thank a Mass Media major!
Our Mass Communication degree with a concentration in Mass Media prepares students to pursue careers in a variety of fields including:
· Script writing
· News writing
· Video journalism
· Documentary production
· Music video production
· Recording industry
· Digital publishing
· Graphic Design
Students’ coursework reflects the diversity of the concentration, with classes in professional writing, audio and video production, photography, and more!
Mass Media majors can practice their skills in student organizations such as the Club PRAD and the Picturesque Photography Club. Students may also gain real life experience through ECTV’s production of “The Paper Lantern Lounge.”