In October 1988 a trust agreement was entered into with East Central University establishing the Oscar L. Parker Center for the Advancement of Ethical Standards in Business and Society as a lasting memorial to Oscar L. Parker, a highly respected educator, businessman, college administrator, and civic leader of Ada, and an active supporter and long-time employee of ECU. In addition to creating the Center and providing a yearly operating budget, this endowment also established the Oscar L. Parker Professorship at ECU. The holder of this professorship acts as Director of the Center.

The mission of the Oscar L. Parker Center for the Advancement of Ethical Standards in Business and Society is to an accessible resource on ethics for business and society, promote ethics education and ethical behavior, and foster discussion on ethics and ethical issues. The Director acts as spokesperson for the Center and serves in the capacity of speaker and presenter to civic organizations, high school assemblies, and other organizations on relevant ethical issues. In addition, the Center sponsors an annual workshop or conference on the subject of ethical standards in business and society, and houses a small library for studies of ethical issues by students and faculty.


Oscar L. Parker

Mr. Parker was a highly respected educator, businessman, college administrator and civic leader in the Ada, Oklahoma community. Born in Abilene, Kansas, Mr. Parker moved to Ada, Oklahoma in 1911. He received his B.A. degree from East Central University, and earned a Master’s degree from Columbia University in New York City. He began teaching Spanish at East Central University in 1923, and became the University’s Business Manager in 1939. He continued to teach Spanish until he retired in 1972. Until 1986 he acted as the Secretary-Treasurer of the ECU Foundation.

Mr. Parker’s civic involvement was widespread. He served as President of many local and regional organizations, including the Pontotoc County Boy Scout Council, Pontotoc County American Red Cross, Ada Community Chest, Ada Lions Club, Ada Chamber of Commerce, Valley View Hospital Board, National Association of Educational Buyers for Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas; and, College and University Business Officers of Oklahoma. He also served as trustee and Vice-President of the East Central Oklahoma Building Authority and was a trustee of the First Christian Church Foundation. He served on the McCall’s Chapel School Board, and was a director of the First National Bank and Trust Company of Ada. He was a member of the Ada Mason Lodge, receiving his 50-year Masonic pin in 1975. He was also a member of the McAlester Consistory where he received his KCCH, and sang in the Consistory Quarter for more than 25 years.