Follow these Easy Steps to Apply for Graduation
- Complete the Masters Degree Application
- Online available through MyECU.
- Go to your Student Tab.
- On the left side menu, you will need to locate and click on the Masters Degree Application. (Apply Only Once)
- Make sure you are applying for the correct degree.
- Make sure you are applying for graduation in the correct semester.
- Make sure to fill out the diploma application for the semester that you are completing your coursework and not for the semester that you are Participating in commencement.
- Those completing a degree in May or July, will walk in the spring ceremony in May.
- Those completing a degree in December, will walk in the December commencement.
- Be sure to list your name as you want it to appear on your diploma.
- You may add middle and maiden names as you wish.
- It is NOT recommended to use nicknames.
- Check your permanent address where your diploma will be mailed if not picked up.
- If you wish to change your permanent address you must request the change with the Records Office by completing the Diploma Address Change Form, HERE.
- In order for your name to appear in the program, you must have filled out the Masters Degree Application by the application deadline listed below.
- Students with Electives (Secondary Education – Academic Discipline - 0834, Human Resources - 0891, Psychological Services - 0860) or 2nd Masters degrees MUST complete a Program Checksheet with their advisor.
- See the bottom of this page for Program Checksheets.
- Meet with your advisor to get approval with a signature from your advisor.
- Turn your approved form in to the School of Graduate Studies.
- Make sure that your Student ID# is on your approved Program Checksheet before turning in your form.
- Complete a Substitution form with your advisor for any course that will be taken that is not on your Program Checksheet and make sure that it is on file with the School of Graduate Studies Office.
- Transfer Work
- Make sure that an official transcript with grades posted is on file and has been recorded on your ECU transcript by the Records Office.
- Complete a Substitution form with your advisor and make sure that it is on file with the School of Graduate Studies Office.
- Check Student Email Account
- Check your ECU student email frequently and stay in communication with your advisor and the School of Graduate Studies.
- All communication about graduation will be done through your student email only.
- Pay the graduation fee of $75 to the Bursar’s Office.
- Mail your payment directly to the Bursar’s Office.
- Make sure to clarify that the money is for the graduation fee.
- The fee is due when applying for graduation.
- If your graduation fee is not paid, it will keep you from getting your transcripts or your diploma once the degree has been posted.
Note: Candidates who submit applications after the deadline will still be able to participate in the commencement ceremony.
March 15, 2017
August 25, 2017
December 9, 2017 at 10 am
November 1, 2017
January 29, 2018
May 12, 2018 at 2 pm
February 1, 2018
April 6, 2018
May 12, 2018 at 2 pm
March 15, 2018
- Commencement exercises for bachelors and masters candidates will be held in the Kerr Activity Center. The ceremony will take place for all students completing degree requirements for the semester. Candidates should report to the ECU Cafeteria before the ceremony. Instructions relating to the exercises are given at that time. In case of heavy rain, meet in Room 202 Kerr Activity Center. PLEASE BE ON TIME. Attendance at commencement exercises is expected of all candidates. Please report to the name card table when you arrive. (For directions to the cafeteria, please contact the Admissions and Records Office.)
- Persons who need special accommodations for the ceremony because of a physical condition should contact the Office of Admissions and Records as soon as possible.
- You may pick up your cap and gown from the ECU Bookstore. Graduation announcements may be purchased at the ECU bookstore also.
- Candidates who do not apply until after the deadline may not have their name listed in the commencement program, as they have to have time to be printed.
- It is requested that women wear dress clothes and that men wear dark slacks and a tie. Corsages, ornamental accessories, or lettering on the hat may not be worn. Honor cords and organizational sashes are allowed.
- Do not bring personal items with you. You will not be allowed to carry any items during the ceremony. They will be collected and taken to the Office of Admissions and Records for pick up immediately following the ceremony. in the case of cold weather or drizzle, a table will be available for coats and umbrellas as you enter the stairs at Kerr Center.
- Because masters candidates will receive their degrees as a group prior to the bachelors candidates, please be prepared to participate in the entire ceremony. Candidates should not leave until the commencement exercises are completed in their entirety.
For more information about the graduation ceremony, please check the Admissions and Records Graduation Page.
Degree checksheets are in PDF format and will open in a new browser window. Select the appropriate checksheet beginning the year of continuous enrollment.
Elementary Education - 0800
Reading - 0820
Secondary Education - 0830
Secondary Education - Educational Technology - 0832
* If you started the program in Fall 2017 see Educational Technology - 1040
Secondary Education - Sports Administration - 0833
* If you started the program in Fall 2017 see Sports Administration - 1050
Clinical Mental Health Counseling - 0892
* Formally Named: Track A - Community/Clinical Psychology
* Formally Named: Track B - School