The biology department offers several opportunities for undergraduate research both in the field and in the laboratory. East Central University provides the Center for Undergraduate Research and Learning (CURL) as a dedicated undergraduate research facility including a microscopy laboratory and a cell and molecular biology laboratory. For more information about specific biology faculty research interests, please visit the Biology Faculty Profiles page.
Examples of research courses:
- Research Methods and Bioethics (BIOL3013) lecture course provides foundational knowledge of experimental design and ECU approved ethics training necessary for research students.
- Seminar in Undergraduate Research (BIOL4993) laboratory course provides hands on research experience. This course is unique in that the students can choose a faculty mentor separately from the faculty listed for the course; however, students must meet with their chosen faculty mentor before beginning the course to determine expectations for course (syllabus).
Examples of paid research opportunities:
- ECU McNair scholars program for low income, first generation, and minority students - contact Yul Dotson (firstname.lastname@example.org or 580-559-5716) for more information
- NASA scholars program for general research - contact Dr. Alisha Howard (email@example.com or 580-559-5792) for more information
- OK-LSAMP for Native American students - contact Dr. Karen Williams (firstname.lastname@example.org or 580-559-5394) for more information
- Oka' Institute internships for students interested in water research - contact Dr. Bruce Moring (email@example.com or 580-559-5657) for more information
- OK-INBRE summer research for students interested in health sciences - contact a faculty mentor for more information
- Ramadan summer research program for students completing their junior year - contact Dr. Michael Bay (firstname.lastname@example.org or 580-559-5497) for more information