ECU MASS COMMUNICATION SCHOLARSHIPS/WAIVERS
The Mass Communication program makes scholarships available to qualified students. Please check with the department for scholarship applications, unless indicated otherwise. Basic requirements are as follows:
- All scholarships require full-time attendance (12 hours for undergraduate students, six hours for graduate students) unless indicated otherwise.
- All scholarships require a 3.0 cumulative G.P.A. Any exceptions must be approved by the department chair or the Foundation's Scholarship Committee.
- All scholarships are for fall and spring semesters only (summers not included) unless indicated otherwise.
- All scholarship recipients will be selected by the department, with final approval by the Foundation’s Scholarship Committee.
DONALD AND BETTIE BLACK FOUNDATION AWARD
This scholarship will be awarded at the discretion of the department. The Black’s are both ECU alumni who have established this scholarship in order to reward excellence in the area of Mass Communication.
This scholarship will be awarded based on need and a minimum 2.5 G.P.A. Originally established as a part of the Federal Student Loan Program, this scholarship was transferred to the ECU Foundation in 1995.
DONNA CALLISON MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship will be awarded at the discretion of the department. The family of Donna Callison established this scholarship in her memory.
HIGGINBOTHAM FAMILY MASS COMMUNICATION SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship will be awarded to a student with a minimum 3.0 G.P.A. who has provided an essay (300-500 words) describing their qualifications for the scholarship. A letter of reference must also be included. The applicant must also provide a portfolio that reflects his/her concentration within the major which contains at least 10 items, including (but not limited to) a still visual, news media, and/or ad/PR campaign. Dorothy Higginbotham was an ECU alumna who understood and recognized the value of higher education and established this scholarship as part of her estate planning.
EDWARD AND ARITA POKORNY MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship will be awarded at the discretion of the department.
Tuition Waiver Recipients must:
- be Oklahoma residents
- be a major or minor in the department
- be a full-time student
- be enrolled for 12 hours or more (fall and spring)
Other Basis of Evaluation:
- potential contribution to departmental activities
- record of academic achievement
- working relationships with faculty and peers at current school
- involvement in student organizations and related outside activities