The goal is to maintain calm and order and not disrupt the classroom or office area any more than necessary. Students will not be alerted unless necessary.
Faculty/Staff should stop any stranger and inquire as to his/her business in the building. If not there on "normal" school business, the Campus Police should be called immediately with a description of the individual.
If in a classroom, call the Campus Police. If shots are fired, evacuate the students to the safest position away from the intruder, and notify Campus Police immediately.
SIGNALS: Call the East Central Police Department, Ext.316 or 332-3875 and advise "the intruder is in room #___________. Update with a new location if intruder moves.
STEPS OF ACTION:
Depending on the situation, the Campus Police will take appropriate action.
- 1. When Campus Police is called, inform them if there is a weapon. Try to give a description of the person by noting clothing, gender, race etc.
- Take students into protected classrooms.
- Check restrooms and vacant rooms.
- Lock classroom doors with keys if possible.
- Move students away from doors and glass.
The following are guidelines to be used for emergency lock down.
A. Persons (Chairpersons/Custodians) with a door lock-down responsibility will go immediately to the doors and take the steps needed to assure that they are secure.
B. Students who are outside will be directed to go to the nearest building by a staff member who can see them. They are to remain there until an "All Clear" signal is given.