Graduate Addiction Counseling Certificate

Brandon Whitten Logo

The Brandon Whitten Institute (BWI) and the Human Resources Department are proud to offer a 15-hour Graduate Certificate in Addictions Counseling.

Participants in the Graduate Addiction Counseling Certificate program will:

  1. Acquire knowledge of the psychological, social and physiological aspects of substance addictions.
  2. Gain knowledge concerning the effects of substance abuse on individuals, relationships and society.
  3. Learn effective intervention and treatment strategies to help those impacted by and at risk of substance abuse disorders.
  4. Demonstrate basic skills of documentation, treatment planning and other services in regards to assessing and treating substance abuse disorders.
  5. Learn skills to provide culturally competent treatment that reduces barriers to participants accessing services.

Courses & Rotation
The Addiction Counseling Certificate Program will consist of five courses (15 credit hours). These course descriptions are provided below.

 Odd years in December


 HURES 5383 Family Systems & Addiction

 Even years in May


 HURES 5483 Family Therapy & Addictions

 Even years in Summer


 HURES 5183 Addictions Theory

 Odd years in May


 HURES 5083 Concepts in Addiction Counseling Practice

 Odd years in Summer


 HURES 5283 Psychopharmacology & Substance Abuse

Oklahoma Board of Licensed Alcohol & Drug Counselors
In 2012, the Oklahoma Board of Licensed Alcohol & Drug Counselors established a change in regulations for potential Licensed Alcohol & Drug Counselors in the State of Oklahoma. New requirements stipulate increased education units in substance abuse. The five identified courses meet the addiction-specific course requirements of the Oklahoma Board of Licensed Alcohol & Drug Counselors.  Students are still responsible for completing the other course requirements which can be found on the Board website at

Admission & Certificate Completion
An applicant may be admitted to the Graduate Addiction Counseling Certificate program if the applicant:

  1. Has earned a baccalaureate degree or the equivalent and
  2. Has earned at least a 3.0 grade point average (GPA) and

a. Through the semester in which the last 60 credit hours of letter-graded undergraduate bachelor’s degree coursework occurred at an accredited college or university or
b. Over a minimum of 12 hours of letter-graded graduate work from an accredited college or university

  1. Has been admitted to the ECU School of Graduate Studies and
  2. Has made application to the Certificate program (Contact Holli Witherington @ for application forms) 

An applicant may be awarded the Graduate Addiction Counseling Certificate if the applicant:

  1. Maintains a letter-grade of ‘B’ or higher in all coursework and
  2. Completes all program requirements within six years

Click here for an application.