Veterans Student Support Services (VSSS) is a federal TRIO grant fully funded by the United States Department of Education. VSSS is committed to eligible East Central University Veterans, Active Service Members, National Guard and Reservists. The program is designed to increase retention and graduation rates of program participants by fostering an institutional climate supportive of success. Participants will be served by a highly qualified staff dedicated to assisting our Nation’s heroes. Our Veteran and Military Resource Center offers a learning environment tailored exclusively for our military-connected students. Most importantly, all of our services are FREE!
*Dependents qualified for Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits, as well as graduate student Veterans, are provided assistance by the School Certifying Official located in room 110 of the Administration Building. Please see information at the bottom of this page”
Services for VSSS participants include:
- Priority enrollment
- Academic tutoring, in-person and online, to enable students to complete post-secondary courses
- Advice and assistance in course selection and enrollment
- Information on the full range of Federal student financial aid programs and benefits, as well as resources for locating public and private scholarships
- Assistance in completing financial aid applications (FAFSA and Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits)
- Education and counseling services designed to improve the financial and economic literacy of students (including financial planning for post-secondary education)
- Assistance with obtaining financial assistance and applying for admission to graduate and professional programs
- Individualized academic counseling
- Information and instruction designed to acquaint participants with the range of career options available
Our office and the Veteran and Military Resource Center hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, when University administrative offices are open. After hour appointments and access to the Veterans and Military Resource Center can be made by arrangement.
- Department e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org and office phone number: (580) 559-5249
Veterans and Military Resource Center
The Veterans and Military Resource Center is located in the Administration Building, room 256, next door to the Veterans Student Support Services office (VSSS). The Resource Center offers a relaxed, quite learning environment exclusively for VSSS participants. You will have access to computers with headphones and webcams, free printing (including color printing), and each computer station is stocked with notepads, Post-It notes, pens and pencils, paperclips, and hand sanitizer. The Resource Center also has a phone charging station, 2- and 3-hole punches, heavy duty staplers, laminating machine with sheets/pouches, paper cutter and shredder, reference books and resource materials available for your use. Along with the camaraderie of other military-connected students, a microwave, and coffee are als o available!
In addition, we have a separate classroom, available by appointment, for study groups or practice for group presentations.
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for information regarding Pell Grant, Student Loans, Work-study, Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant, etc.: https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for information regarding VA Education Benefits (GI Bills®, Survivors and Dependent Assistance): https://www.va.gov/education/
- eBenefits (Apply for VA Benefits – Disability Compensation, Pension, Education, Veteran Readiness and Employment, Manage Benefits, Check Status of Claims): https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage
- Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs (State Benefits, Locate Veterans Services Representatives, etc.): https://oklahoma.gov/veterans.html
- Folds of Honor (educational scholarships to spouses and children of America’s fallen and disabled service-members): https://www.foldsofhonor.org
- Warriors for Freedom (Resource dedicated to supporting and improving mental, physical and holistic wellness for our nation's active military, veterans and their families): https://www.warriorsforfreedom.org
- Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) "Sport Clips Help A Hero Scholarship”: https://www.vfw.org/assistance/student-veterans-support
Our Mission Statement
The mission of Veterans Student Support Services is to empower our Nation's heroes by providing comprehensive and individualized plans addressing the transitional, academic, career, and professional services needed to earn a bachelor's degree at East Central University.
Veterans Student Support Services is funded by the U.S. Department of Education Federal TRIO Programs in the amount of $261,888 for the 2021-2022 program year.