Applying for Aid

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

Student in financial aid office receives help from staff member

You can apply by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This is best done by March 1st each year but can be completed later if needed. Early application ensures you the best opportunity for assistance. The FAFSA may either be completed with the application booklet or the online version. A booklet can be requested by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center, toll free at 1-800-433-3243. Students may also access a PDF paper version of the FAFSA. The paper FAFSA must be mailed to the federal processor. For the online version, go to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid website.

The application on the internet is user friendly and results are received quicker. Applying for financial aid is free. Avoid sites that attempt to charge you to apply for aid. It could take 4 to 6 weeks to receive the results when mailing the FAFSA booklet or the PDF paper version of the application.

By filling out the FAFSA form, you can find out what types of aid you are eligible for, whether it be grants, loans or work study. After ECU receives your FAFSA results, we review the data. If the federal government selects your application for verification, you will be asked to submit additional paperwork such as signed copies of tax forms, verification worksheets, etc.  Further documentation may be requested if a review of your file indicates conflicting information, etc.

Once your data is reviewed and is found to be complete and accurate, we will send you an award notice email to view your awards on the MyECU portal.  Then Financial Aid portal will show the types and amounts of aid for which you qualify.  Additional forms and steps are necessary to receive student loans and begin working on the work-study program.

Summer Financial Aid
You must complete a summer application before funding can be approved for the summer semester.  Applications will be available in the Financial Aid Office or online once summer enrollment is opened.

You must have a FAFSA for the current academic year on file.  

You must be registered for at least six hours for Undergraduate Students or four hours for Graduate Students for the summer term to receive Federal Direct Loans.  The amount of loans you received for fall/spring will affect your loan eligibility for the summer term.

The amount of PELL you received for fall/spring will affect your PELL eligibility for the summer term.