Grants are based on financial need and are available to undergraduate students who meet the eligibility criteria.

Federal Pell Grants

Federal Pell Grants are awarded to eligible undergraduate students who show financial need based on a standard formula. Funding is not limited by the number of students who apply. Grants range from $400 to $5550 per year.  Beginning with the Summer 2010 semester, students may receive up to two scheduled PELL grants each award year.  Please review the "Two Pells in an Award Year" section for more information.

Two Pells in an Award Year

Beginning with the Summer 2010 semester, students may receive up to two scheduled Pell grants in an award year.  Summer 2010 is under one set of federal rules.  All semesters beginning with Fall 2010 are under a different set of federal rules.

Summer 2010:

  1. Students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 hours) to receive any portion of a second Pell Grant.
  2. Eligibility is based on the 2009-10 FAFSA.

Effective Fall 2010 and all semesters thereafter:

  1. Students must be enrolled at least half-time for second Pell Grant.
  2. To qualify for second Pell Grant, student must have completed 24 credit hours before being considered for second Pell Grant and enroll in enough hours to apply for the second Pell.  For example, a student is full-time fall and spring.  The student fails one class each semester and only completes 18 hours during fall and spring.  If the student only enrolls in 6 hours for summer, the student is not eligible for second Pell because the six hours go to the 24 hours required.  If the same student enrolled in seven hours for summer, the student would qualify for a seond Pell grant because one of the seven hours for summer apply to the second Pell grant.
  3. Second Pell grant is paid out of the award year that provides the largest grant so students should complete both the prior year and upcoming year FAFSAs.  For Summer 2011, students should complete the 2010-11 and 2011-12 FAFSAs.
  4. Transfer students eligibility for second Pell will be based on the percentage of the first Pell grant received at the other school.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

SEOG awards are made to undergraduate students who have exceptional financial need. Funding is limited and priority is given to students who receive a Federal Pell Grant.

Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grants (OTAG)

OTAG is a state grant administered by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education and disbursed by East Central. You must be an undergraduate student, an Oklahoma resident, have an EFC of 1700 or less, completed the FAFSA early enough to qualify, and be enrolled at least half-time to receive OTAG. Grants such as OTAG are a part of the LEAP (Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership) and are funded by the federal government and the state.

Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG)

The Academic Competitiveness Grant is a new grant awarded to students that complete a rigorous secondary school program of study. Only students that graduated high school after January 1, 2005 are eligible to receive these grants.  The final year for this grant is 2010-11.

SMART Grants

The SMART grant is a new grant designed for students that are degree seeking in certain majors. The maximum award for a SMART grant is $4000 per academic year. A student may only receive the award for a maximum of two years.  The final year for this grant is 2010-11.

Tribal Higher Education Grants

The Tribal Higher Education Grants are available to tribal members who have financial need defined by the Application for Federal Student Aid. Application for grants is made through the Native American Counselors Office at East Central, or through the Tribal Headquarters with which you are affiliated.

Rehabilitation Assistance

The Oklahoma Rehabilitation Commission offers assistance for tuition and required fees to students who have special physical, learning or emotional needs, provided the vocational objective selected by the person has been approved by an appropriate representative of the Commission. Through this state agency, other rehabilitation services are available to assist persons with special needs to become employable. Application for this type of assistance should be made to the nearest Rehabilitation Office.