WELLNESS CENTER POLICIES
This page contains general information as well as the rules and policies of the Tommy Hewett, M.D. Wellness Center at ECU.
- All users must check in at the front desk with a valid ECU student I.D., ECU faculty/staff I.D., or Wellness Center I.D. card at each visit before using any facilities.
- Offensive/profane language, disruptive behavior, and intimidation will not be tolerated. Failure to comply with policies will result in immediate removal from the facility and/or loss of privileges.
- The Wellness Center is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Day lockers are available by the racquetball court and are recommended for storing items during each visit.
- Equipment is available to check-out with a valid I.D.
- Unauthorized personal training or any type of one-on-one instruction is prohibited. Please talk to the director if you are interested in programming.
- No food or drinks are allowed in workout areas except water and sports drinks in spill-proof bottles. The use of any form of tobacco or alcohol is prohibited.
- The Wellness Center may close periodically for holidays, maintenance, and renovations. Notice of changes in hours will be emailed to all users in our database, posted at the front desk, and on our social media accounts.
- For the purpose of family memberships, family is defined as the enrollee, spouse, and natural or adopted children under the age of 21. Requests for exception may be made to the director.
- Dress code:
- Full-length shirt that covers torso.
- Soft-soled, closed-toe athletic shoes.
- No denim or pants with buttons or zippers that can tear the padding on equipment.
- Very short shorts are not allowed.
- Please use discretion with your clothing choices. Wellness Center staff have the authority to ask you to change if deemed inappropriate.
- Age Requirements:
- Children may utilize the pool, basketball court, and racquetball courts when accompanied by an individual 16 years or over.
- Children under 12 cannot use the circuit room equipment or participate in adult group exercise classes.
- Youth ages 12-15 must be accompanied by an individual 16 years or over to use any area of the Wellness Center.
- Wipe down equipment after use with the cleaner and towels located throughout the facility. Do not directly spray the console of the cardiovascular equipment.
- Please do not drop weights because of the second-floor location. Heavy lifting is better done in the Tigers Den.
- Racquetball equipment is available for check out at the front desk.
- When playing racquetball, safety goggles must be worn at all times.
- Reservations may be made through the front desk, but not required.
- Tigers Den may only be entered through the McBride Gym, and all users must check in and leave I.D. cards at the front desk.
- No one may leave through the outside exit except in an emergency.
- Users not participating in a group exercise class must pass a form test to workout in the Tigers Den.
- Users may play their own music in the Tigers Den if there is no class. Music must be clean Obscenities and profanity are not allowed, and you will be asked to turn it off.
- Children 12 and under must be directly supervised by an adult in the pool.
- Prior to pool use all patrons, including children, must check in with the lifeguard or front desk, depending on the program.
- Persons with open wounds, bandages, or any symptoms of communicable disease are prohibited from entering the water.
- Persons that have had diarrhea in the past two weeks are prohibited in the water.
- No animals are allowed in the water.
- Safety equipment is not to be used for play or tampered with.
- Running and rough play are prohibited in and around the water.
- Do not enter water if the main drain cover is missing or not securely attached.
- Do not remove main drain covers or gates.
- No swimming, diving, playing or snorkeling near the main drain.
- Bathing load limit is 74 persons.
- No diving in shallow water.
- Those using life jackets and all non-swimmers must have an adult in the water with them at all times.
- Lifeguard may issue a swim proficiency test at any time.
- Lane ropes are not allowed to be in the pool during open swim.
- Non-toilet trained children must wear swim diapers in the pool.
McBride Gym & Track
- No hanging on rims or nets. No dunking on side goals.
- Full-court play is allowed during the hours of 2-6 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- Profanity, disruptive conduct, and aggressive behavior will not be tolerated.
- Dress code applies to gym and track.
- Track: one mile = 15 laps and one straight. Counters are available at the front desk.
Group Exercise and Cross-Training Room
- Classes may be canceled at any time due to lack of participation/interest or instructor availability.
- Classes will not be held during major holidays and University closures unless otherwise specified by instructor.
- Instructor reserves the right to change the class format at any time.
- Lockers are available in the downstairs dressing rooms by the pool. It is recommended that each patron bring a personal lock to use on his/her locker. Patrons are encouraged not to leave personal items unsecured in the locker room.
- Lockers must be reserved, free of charge, through the front desk. Reservations are terminated on membership end date.