The ECU Native American Student Association and the NASANTI REACHE Program presents Indigenous Peoples' Day on October 9 from 8:30 a.m. - 3 p.m. During this event you will have the opportunity to explore market vendors, tribal at-large citizen booths, cultural demonstration booths all while enjoying great food from vendors.
8:30 a.m. -9:30 a.m.
- Opening Prayer
- Welcome: Marcen Marris (NASA President) | East Central University President Wendell Godwin
- Cultural Speaker: Dub Howell (Patawatomi, Seminole & Creek)
9:30 a.m.-10:15 a.m.
- Keynote Speaker: Dr. Stephanie Hudson, Executive Director of Oklahoma Indian Legal Services
- Title: Indigenous Peoples' Day & Tribal Sovereignty
10:25 a.m. - 11:10 a.m.
- Guest Speaker: Dr. Jacintha Webster, Director of ECU Native American Legal Clinic
- Title: Federal Trust Responsibility
11:15 a.m. - 12:10 p.m.
- Guest Speaker: Dr. Scott Ketchum, Director of ECU Native American Studies
- Title: Native Nation building
12:15 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.
- Lunch Break (food trucks in the plaza)
1:20 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Guest Speaker: Vivian Morris, Tribal-State Policy Analyst with Oklahoma Policy
- Title: Murdered & Missing Indigenous Women and Violence Against Women Act
2:10 p.m. - 2:50 p.m.
- Guest Speaker: Dr. Deanna Hartley-Kelso, Chickasaw Nation District Court Judge
- Title: Tribal Judicial Governance
2:50 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Conclusion/Prayer: NASA President Macen Marris