The Master of Science in Water Resource Policy and Management supports the need for an advanced understanding of the growing complexity of water issues that face communities in the state, nation, and global. This degree trains students for leadership in making water policy decisions and prepares students who seek employment within federal and state environmental agencies, environmental non-governmental organizations, international development agencies, industry and environmental consulting firms.

The program requires students to integrate and synthesize knowledge from multiple disciplines to address the complex challenges of water resource decisions and to develop solutions that are socially acceptable, politically and economically viable, and environmentally sustainable. Students will be broadly trained to undertake careers in managing water resources and in guiding or making water resource policy decisions.

MSWRPM Proposed Rotation  (pdf)

    2016-2017    2017-2018    2018-2019    2019-2020    2020-2021    2021-2022  2022-2023  

Degree checksheets are in PDF format and will open in a new browser window.  Select the appropriate checksheet beginning the year of continuous enrollment.



Admission to the Master of Science of Water Resource Policy and Management

Admission Process 
The applicant must:

  1. Complete an ECU Application for Admission/Readmission.

  2. Submit the Masters of Water Resource Policy and Management Admissions forms

    • Provide transcripts of all work completed (baccalaureate and graduate).
    • Submit a current resume.

Unconditional Admission 
Unconditional admission may be granted to applicants who meet the following criteria:

  1. Have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.

  2. Meet either of the following conditions:

    • Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 on all undergraduate coursework to date; or
    • Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25 in the last sixty (60) hours of coursework.
  3. Non-native English speaking students must have a minimum of 79 Internet-based, 213 computer-based, or 550 paper-based TOEFL score or a minimum 6.5 IELTS score.
  4. Have acceptable program application documents (resume, etc.)

Conditional Admission 
Conditional admission may be granted to an applicant who has met the GPA and TOEFL/IELTS requirements for unconditional admission but has not submitted all other required documentation. The documentation must be completed and processed before the student may enroll in the second semester.

Provisional Admission 
Applicants not meeting the GPA requirements for unconditional admission may be considered for provisional admission by the program. Students must submit all program documents before admission to the university. No more than nine (9) hours of graduate credit earned while on provisional admission status will count toward a degree. To gain unconditional status, the student must complete a minimum of nine (9) hours approved graduate work with a minimum GPA of 3.00 in all courses taken, meet all other admission criteria, and meet all provisions set by the program.

Concurrent Admission
A senior student who lacks less than a full normal study load and who has completed a minimum of one hundred (100) credit hours, and meets the GPA requirements, may be permitted to enroll in WRPM courses, subject to the study load provisions and semester hour provisions of the School of Graduate Studies.

Credit Requirements 
The program leading to the Master of Science in Water Resource Policy and Management requires completion of at least thirty hours (30) of applicable work above the bachelor’s degree. Courses which may apply to the master’s degree program are those 5000 level courses and appropriate graduate level courses transferred from accredited institutions.

Planning the Program 
The student's study program leading to the master’s degree is developed in consultation with his or her faculty advisor and is carefully related to the student’s individual needs. Needs are identified through consideration of undergraduate preparation and immediate and prospective career goals.

No thesis is required in the Master of Science in Water Resource Policy and Management program at East Central University. However, one may be submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree, for credit of six (6) semester hours, provided approval is given by the Graduate Committee of the Legal Studies Department, the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, and the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies (see the course WRPM 5691-6). Guidelines for writing the thesis in the Master of Science in Water Resource Policy and Management program may be obtained either from the Dean of School of Graduate Studies or the Coordinator of the Water Resource Policy and Management Program.

Transfer Work 
A maximum of nine (9) semester hours of graduate credit earned at other colleges or universities may be accepted as partial fulfillment of the requirements for the master’s degree in water resource policy and management. To be applicable, the graduate credit must meet the following three (3) requirements:

  1. The college or university at which the credit was obtained must offer a graduate degree in water policy or water management;

  2. The content of the course involved must be consistent with the career goals of the student as determined by the student’s advisor; and

  3. The student must have received an “A” or “B” (or the equivalent) in the course involved.

The student who plans to transfer credit is responsible for assembling sufficient supporting material to allow the department chair and graduate dean to make an adequate evaluation of the transfer credit request.

Grade Regulations
The grades of A, B, C, D, P, F, N, W, AW, WF and I may be assigned to graduate students. The grade mark “P” indicates pass without an exact grade; the grade mark “W” indicates withdrawn; the grade mark “AW” indicates administrative withdrawal; the temporary grade mark “N” indicates the semester grade was not submitted by the instructor by the appropriate deadline. Grade marks have grade point values per semester hour as follows: A-4, B-3, C-2, D-1, F-0, and WF-0. Grade marks of “P” and “W” are disregarded with respect to grade points and hours attempted in computing grade averages.

An incomplete grade (“I”) may be used at the instructor's discretion to indicate that additional work is necessary to complete a course. It is not a substitute for an “F” and no student may be failing a course at the time an “I” grade is awarded. To receive an “I” grade, the student should have satisfactorily completed a substantial portion of the required coursework for the semester. “I” grades must be changed by the instructor within one (1) year from the end of the semester in which the “I” was assigned or they will remain as a permanent “I” and not contribute to the student’s GPA.

Graduate students must maintain an overall graduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 to remain academically in good standing with the School of Graduate Studies. If the GPA falls below 3.00, the student will be placed on Academic Probation. In this status, a minimum GPA of 3.00 must be earned each semester or term. Failure to earn a 3.00 or higher each semester or term will result in Suspension from the Graduate Degree Program.

Financial Aid Regulations for Graduate Students

Students, please be advised that the courses you choose to enroll in MUST be a required course or an elective course in your degree program. Financial Aid regulations dictate that any graduate student who is seeking financial aid must be enrolled in AT LEAST five (5) credit hours during the fall, spring, or summer semester and the courses MUST be in the degree program.

*Certificate Programs do not qualify for financial aid.