Q. What is federal work-study?
A. Federal Work-Study is a federally funded program that enables students to earn money for college costs through part-time employment. The federal government pays a portion of the students' wages and the employer pays the balance. The program provides an opportunity for students to secure academic or career-oriented employment while providing essential to the University and the community. Federal Work-Study is awarded based upon financial need.

Q. What kinds of work-study jobs are available?
A. Work-study jobs are available on-campus in areas such as academic departments, library, administrative offices, physical plant, wellness center, and laboratories.

Q. How many hours can I work?
A. You may work up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session. To determine your total eligible hours for the entire academic year, divide the award amount by the hourly pay rate. (ie: [$1,440 work-study eligibility] divided by [per hour pay rate] is equal to [hours of eligibility.] )

Q. How much money can I earn?
A. The work-study award listed on your Financial Aid Portal represents the maximum amount you may earn (federal/employer contributions combined) under the work-study program during the academic year.

Q. How will I be paid?
A. You will be paid on the 15th of each month.

Q. Are work-study earnings taxable?
A. Work-study earnings are considered taxable income. However, there are several factors determining the amount of your withholdings, including the amount earned, marital status, and allowances claimed. Depending on how you complete your W-4 form (a document included with your employment paperwork) you may be able to opt for exemption from withholding.

Q. Can I hold more than one work-study job at the same time?
A. Yes, however, your total number of hours worked for all jobs combined may not exceed 20 hours per week.

Q. What if I drop below full-time enrollment (12 units for undergraduates)?
A. Work-study requires that you be enrolled at least half-time (six units for undergraduates) to maintain your eligibility. Your financial aid may be affected by dropping below full-time status. Therefore, you should consult the Office of Financial Aid before dropping below full-time status.

Q. How do I apply for work-study?
A. To be considered for work-study, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet all the deadlines for supporting documentation.  Once the ECU Financial Aid Office receives your FAFSA information, you will be evaluated for financial need and a financial aid package will be determined. This package may include Federal Work-Study.

Q. If I decide not to participate in the work-study program this year, will it affect my eligibility for the program next year?
A. No. Eligibility for the program is based solely on your demonstrated financial need. Each year, your eligibility for all financial assistance (including work-study) is determined independently from any prior period. Please note that you must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year.