POLICY: East Central University is an equal opportunity employer. The university hires individuals based on their qualifications and ability to perform the position without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, or veteran status. Each individual, while employed at ECU, is expected to make significant contributions to the overall strategic success of East Central University.
This policy has been established to assure complete communications, necessary records, and the employment of competent personnel, to provide proper controls in staffing complements, and to ensure compliance with applicable laws. The employment function is centralized and coordinated through the Employment Services Office
PROCEDURE: The hiring procedures for ECU are outlined as follows:
When a department director/chair opens a new or vacated position, the Employment Request Form should be completed and routed through appropriate administrative channels for approval. A current job description must be attached to the form. The Employment Request Form also has a section to complete if external advertising is necessary. Upon receipt of authorization, the Employment Services Office will begin the screening process for applicants by the procedures identified below. When chosen, the Employment Services Office will be notified of the Screening Committee Chairperson and members for the particular screening.
2. Position Announcements
ECU employees are notified first of all regular exempt and non-exempt vacancies by campus-wide email sent from the Employment Services Office. Vacancies will remain on the web site until the position is filled or at management's discretion. Part-time and/or temporary vacancies will be posted on the web site only as requested by the department director/chair/dean. Positions are advertised externally based upon need and budgetary considerations. The Employment Services Office is responsible for coordination and placement of all external advertisements.
3. Application Process
Interested individuals will follow the application process identified in the vacancy announcement. It is the responsibility of each applicant to send required materials to the Employment Services Office prior to the closing date (if identified). The Employment Services Office will process each application and notify applicants of any missing documents required to complete the applicant file. Each applicant file will be maintained by the Employment Services Office. Completed applications will be sent to the Screening Committee Chair, or a requested designated member.
4. Responsibility of the Screening Committee
All applicants for a posted vacancy will be considered on the basis of his/her qualifications and ability to perform the job successfully. The Screening Committee will receive a committee packet in accordance with ECU's affirmative action guidelines. The Employment Services Office has additional information available upon request to assist the committee.
The Screening Committee will complete the following procedure in order:
- review all applications and select those applicants who have the required knowledge, skills, and abilities identified in the vacancy announcement.
- After this initial screening, the committee will identify an average of 2-5 applicants, depending on the size of the qualified applicant pool, for scheduled interviews.
- The committee packet includes guidelines for interview competencies. Utilizing these guidelines, the committee will determine the content of the interview questions and type of interview for each applicant. Committee members should carefully review the "Appropriate/Inappropriate Questions" list included in the committee packet. A structured interview process is imperative to ensure that each applicant is interviewed without discriminatory treatment or bias.
- During each interview, the committee members may take notes on a sheet of paper other than the applicant's resume/application.
- After the interview process, the committee will determine those applicants that have the most serious consideration for screening. The committee members will check and document professional references.
5. Applicant Screening
The committee will review all interview notes, all reference checks, and choose the candidate to recommend for hire to the appropriate administrative official. At this time, the candidate’s name and email address should be forwarded to Employment Services for a background check. Committee chair will inform the candidate that an email from Choice Screening will be forthcoming. Any offers made are contingent on successful background check and approval from administration. The Vice President or his/her designee will contact the selected candidate to make an employment offer, and schedule a start date. Once the offer has been accepted by the selected candidate, an Employment Action Form will be completed by the hiring department director/chair and forwarded to his/her Vice President.
After the screening process is complete, the Screening Committee Chairperson should complete the Applicant Selection Form - all applicants for the position will be included on the form. Each applicant interviewed, but not selected, should be called personally to inform him/her of the committee's decision. Employment Services will send notification letters to all applicants not interviewed.
On the scheduled start date, the employee will receive a "New Employee Packet" with all required paperwork and information. A member of the Employment Services Office will review the packet contents with the employee then take the employee to the University Center to obtain his/her identification card and parking permit. All required paperwork (payroll data, enrollments, etc.) will be completed and returned to the Human Resources Office within one (1) week of the initial hire date.
7. Direct Appointment and Interim Appointments
See Employee Handbook, page 18.
8. Recruitment and Screening At-A-Glance
- Department director/chair completes the Employment Request Form and submits for approval.
- Employment Services office will place email notice, web site notice and external advertisements, if requested (include purchase order or procard # for ads).
- Screening Committee is chosen.
- Employment Services office receives and processes all applications.
- Screening Committee reviews all applicants.
- Committee will call and document reference checks. Committee recommends candidate for approval. Upon approval by Vice President and candidate acceptance, the committee Chairperson will send the Applicant Selection Form to Employment Services office.
- Interviewees not hired are called by Committee Chairperson.
- Hiring department director/chair completes the Employment Action Form (appointment form) and submits for approval.