TOEFL, IELTS, & Alternate Options
Prospective students, for whom English is not their first language, must satisfy the Oklahoma Board of Regents for Higher Education requirements regarding English proficiency.
To meet this requirement, see the following methods:
1. Take Duolingo English test, the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and meet ECU's minimum score to satisfy admission requirements. Official documents are required to upon arrival.
Duolingo, TOEFL and the IELTS are tests that can be taken to meet the requirement for English Language Proficiency for admission to ECU. Only original, official score reports will be accepted. East Central University’s code for the TOEFL is RA6186. There is no institutional code for the IELTS examination. Test takers should provide the following address to have their official score sent to ECU: International Office, East Central University, 1100 E. 14th Street PMB E-1, Ada, OK 74820. *Duolingo/PTE accepted through June 30th, 2022 due to COVID-19 restrictions.
2. Intensive Language Program (IEP) Policy: Students must meet a minimum score set by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (OSRHE) on the TOEFL/IELTS exam. After achieving the required score and immediately PRIOR to admission, the student must successfully complete a minimum of 12 weeks of study at an IEP approved by the OSRHE. At least two-thirds of the 12 weeks must be instruction at an advanced level. Students who meet the IEP exception must have one of the minimum scores listed below:
ECU does not offer an on-campus IEP, but a list of the approved IEPs can be found in the OSRHE Academic Affairs Procedures Handbook on page 46. *Duolingo/PTE accepted through June 30th, 2022 due to COVID-19 restrictions.
3. All students enrolled in ECU are required to be proficient in the English language. For international students not from the following locations, either the TOEFL® or IELTS exam must be taken to demonstrate one’s effectiveness with the English language. Individuals that will need to take the TOEFL or IELTS exam should consult the TOEFL® website to learn more about locations, times and costs associated with the exam.
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Belize (British Honduras)
- British Virgin Islands
- Canada (except Quebec)
- Channel Islands
- Falkland Islands
- Guam (U.S. citizens)
- New Zealand
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- St. Vincent & the Grenadines
- South Africa
- Trinidad & Tobago
- Turks & Caicos Islands
- United Kingdom (England, North Ireland, Scotland, Wales)
- U.S. Virgin Islands