Jack Bates and Helene Bates Fund
Established in 2019 by the last will and testament of Pansy Cradduck Bates, the Bates Fund exists to aid and assist students experiencing a financial crisis that substantially affects the ability of the student to attend ECU and progress in his or her studies.
By the referral of an ECU faculty or staff member along with other guidelines, students may be eligible to receive support through the Bates Fund. It is not expected that students will repay these funds; however, students are encouraged to “pay it forward” in the future or when they are able.
Bates Grant Guidelines
1. Only an ECU faculty or staff member may recommend a student for Bates funds.
2. To be eligible, students must be enrolled full-time at ECU in the semester during which funds are sought.
3. Funds shall only be awarded in the event of an emergency that substantially affects the ability of a student to attend ECU and progress in his or her studies. Funds shall not be awarded if the student is experiencing ongoing or recurring problems. The purpose of the Grant is to retain students who may not otherwise be able to progress.
4. Applying does not ensure that funds will be awarded. ECU Foundation employees and/or the ECU Foundation Scholarship Committee will determine whether funds are to be awarded.
5. It is not expected that students will repay these funds. However, students are encouraged to “pay it forward” in the future or when they are able. Performing volunteer service in the spirit of the fund is encouraged.
6. The ECU Bursar's and Financial Aid Offices will be notified of all recipients of this aid and the amount received.
7. A current copy of the students Bursar bill must be attached to this document as well as a current unofficial transcript.