***The fire alarm is to be sounded in the event of any smoke or fire.***
Signal: The continuous ringing of the fire alarm.
In the case of a loss of electrical power, the signal will be voice directions of a staff member or housing personnel.
What to do if you discover a fire:
- Sound vocal and mechanical alarms.
- Report fire to Ada Fire Department and ECU Police Department.
- Give building name
- Give your name.
- Leave the building and do not re-enter until the "all clear" is given by the Ada Fire Department.
Steps of Action
- Report fire by calling 911
- Pull alarm.
- Take class list of students.
- Make room check of all resident hall rooms.
- Close all windows and doors to confine fire.
- Use closest exit for evacuation, use enclosed stairwells if available.
- Evacuate to at least 500 feet from the building. Completely evacuate building even if alarm goes off before you are out of the building.
- Faculty will double check room and offices and housing personnel will check residence halls to ensure total evacuation.
- Restrooms, hallways and unoccupied rooms will be checked by a custodian or police.
- Pre-plan for evacuation for disabled persons.
Staff and Faculty: Supervise evacuation and check for injuries. Assign roles to auxiliary persons as needed. Check restrooms and labs. (Call 911 if necessary).