“What types of services do you offer?”

Our services are tailored to the student’s needs, allowing each student the opportunity to excel in their chosen educational experience.  Depending upon which services are needed, we offer exam accommodations such as, extended testing time, reduced distraction testing facilities, and scribe or reading services for students needing them.  We offer alternative format accommodations for books and class materials, such as E-Text, Braille, and conversion to audio format.  Of course, like any other student, students with disabilities are required to purchase their textbooks; however, our office offers conversion to alternative format at no charge to students that qualify for our services.  We offer assistive technology such as Speech recognition software and CCTV enlargement.

“What is a “disability”, and what type of documentation do I need to qualify for services?”

Under the American’s with Disabilities Act, the term "disability" means: a) a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities (including learning) of an individual, b) a record of such an impairment, or c) being regarded as having such impairment. In all matters, the governing laws that relate to the provision of disability services for University students are the ADA, Section 504, and any applicable state laws.

As far as documentation goes, each student is responsible for providing documentation that supports their request for accommodations and services. The documentation should be on an official letterhead and signed by a professional qualified to make the evaluation (including information about license or certification and area of specialization), needs to clearly establish that the student has a disability as defined by federal regulations, clearly describe the type of accommodations being requested, and fully support the request for accommodation.  Individualized Educational Plans (IEP's) alone are not considered to be adequate documentation and do not apply to post-secondary education.

The complete documentation guidelines are on the website in PDF form.

“How do I apply for services?”

If you are a new student and require accommodations to help facilitate the admissions process, please notify the Office of Admissions and Records before your visit and let them know how we can help you.

To apply for our services, simply fill out our Intake form, gather your documentation, and schedule an initial appointment with our office.  We highly recommend sending your current documentation of disability and your application in advance of your intake appointment!

“I have utilized these services before and am returning to school, can I still receive services?” 

More than likely, but keep in mind that each student must re-apply for services each semester, whether or not they have received services from our office in the past.  The Request for Services form is located in our links column.

“Do I need to provide new documentation to do so?”

Possibly.  Documentation for certain disabilities needs to be updated every so often.  Our documentation guidelines are posted on this website and list various time constraints for some disability documentation.

“I have a disability; do I have to apply for services?”

It is entirely up to the individual student.  Our services are available for students with qualifying disabilities that choose to self-identify and want to receive services from our office.  While we encourage independence, we also think students should utilize any resources available to them to reach their educational goals.

What should I do if I suspect I have a disability and want to receive accommodations?

If you suspect you have a disability you will need to provide documentation of that disability to East Central University. A qualified professional who is licensed or certified to diagnose the disability in question must supply this documentation. An appointment should be scheduled with our office to review the documentation and the need for services. See Documentation Guidelines.

“How will I know if I qualified for services?”

At your scheduled meeting with us, your documentation will be reviewed and if you qualify for services and your specific needs will be discussed. 

“What role do my parents play in the process?

Students who are 18 years old or older are legally recognized as adults. In this case, the student is responsible for their own accommodation requests and disability-related decisions. However, students are encouraged to have an open dialogue with their parents. Parents can be a great source of support.

“Are your services confidential?”

Absolutely!  Confidentiality is a major concern and we take it very seriously. All records are treated with the utmost care to ensure our student’s privacy and confidentiality is never breached.