The Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences offers several opportunities for undergraduate research both in the field and in the laboratory. East Central University provides the Center for Undergraduate Research and Learning (CURL) as a dedicated undergraduate research facility including a microscopy laboratory, cell and molecular biology laboratory, and environmental health and safety laboratory. For more information about specific faculty research interests, please visit the Faculty Profiles page.
Examples of research courses:
- Research Methods and Bioethics (BIOL3013) lecture course provides foundational knowledge of experimental design and ECU approved ethics training necessary for research students.
- Seminar in Undergraduate Research (BIOL4993) laboratory course provides hands on research experience for biology majors. This course is unique in that the students can choose a faculty mentor separately from the faculty listed for the course; however, students must meet with their chosen faculty mentor before beginning the course to determine expectations for course (syllabus).
- Individual Studies (EHS 4991-4) course provides hands on research experience for environmental health and safety majors.
- Senior Capstone Projects (CARTO 4953) course provides hands on experience for cartography majors.
Examples of paid research opportunities:
- ECU McNair scholars program for low income, first generation, and minority students - contact Yul Dotson (email@example.com or 580-559-5716) for more information
- NASA scholars program for general research - contact Dr. Alisha Howard (firstname.lastname@example.org or 580-559-5792) for more information
- OK-LSAMP for Native American students - contact Dr. Karen Williams (email@example.com or 580-559-5394) for more information
- Oka' Institute internships for students interested in water research - contact Dr. Bruce Moring (firstname.lastname@example.org or 580-559-5657) for more information
- OK-INBRE summer research for students interested in health sciences - contact a faculty mentor for more information
- Ramadan summer research program for students completing their junior year - contact Dr. Michael Bay (email@example.com or 580-559-5497) for more information