BES RESEARCH AT ECU
The Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences offers several opportunities for undergraduate research both in the field and in the laboratory. East Central University provides the Center for Undergraduate Research and Learning (CURL) as a dedicated undergraduate research facility including a microscopy laboratory, cell and molecular biology laboratory, and environmental health and safety laboratory.
Examples of Research Courses
- Research Methods and Bioethics (BIOL 3013) lecture course provides foundational knowledge of experimental design and ECU-approved ethics training necessary for research students.
- Seminar in Undergraduate Research (BIOL 4993) laboratory course provides hands-on research experience for Biology majors. This course is unique in that students can choose a faculty mentor separately from the faculty listed for the course; however, students must meet with their chosen faculty mentor before beginning the course to determine expectations for course (syllabus).
- Individual Studies (EHS 4991-4) course provides hands-on research experience for Environmental Health and Safety majors.
- Senior Capstone Projects (CARTO 4953) course provides hands on-experience for Cartography majors.
Examples of Paid Research Opportunities
- ECU McNair Scholars Program for low-income, first-generation, and minority students. Contact Yul Dotson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 580-559-5716 for more information.
- NASA Scholars Program for general research. Contact Dr. Alisha Howard at email@example.com or 580-559-5792 for more information.
- OK-LSAMP for minority students. Contact Dr. Karen Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org or 580-559-5394 for more information.
- Oka' Institute internships for students interested in water research. Contact Dr. Bruce Moring at email@example.com or 580-559-5657 for more information.
- OK-INBRE summer research for students interested in health sciences. Contact a faculty mentor for more information.
- Ramadan summer research program for students completing their junior year. Contact Dr. Michael Bay at firstname.lastname@example.org or 580-559-5497 for more information.