Question mark inside square  Q. How much money is available in financial aid?

  A. Grants - Usually between $100 and $4000. Eligibility and type of loan depend on the funds available.


Question mark inside square

  Q. How do I qualify for financial aid?

  A. By filling out a FAFSA form, you will receive information about what types of aid you are eligible to receive.


Question mark inside square  Q. What are the important dates and deadlines for financial aid?

  A. These are set dates that you need to have certain items applied for and returned. Click here for dates and deadlines.


Question mark inside square  Q. What is ECU's school code?

  A. 003154


Question mark inside square

  Q. How often do I need to complete the FAFSA form?

  A. FAFSA must be completed annually.


Question mark inside square

 Q. My parents didn't claim me on their taxes. Doesn't this make me independent for financial aid purposes?

  A. No. Whether or not your parents claim you on their taxes does not determine dependency status for financial aid. (please refer to Step Three on the FAFSA form).


Question mark inside square

 Q. Why was I offered loans but no grants?

 A. Federal financial aid is made up of loans, grants and work student programs. Federal grant money is available for the most needy students and families.


Question mark inside square

 Q. Can I enroll part-time and still receive financial aid?

 A. Some aid is available to part-time students. To receive student loans, a student must be enrolled at least one half time (6 hours or more for undergraduates and 4 hours or more for graduates).


College Work Study - This is a federal work program and you must be eligible for financial aid.

FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid - Complete this form either in paper booklet form or online to determine if you are eligible for financial aid.

Federal Perkins Loan - A loan for undergraduates and graduates with financial need. The maximum award is $4000 per year with a lifetime maximum of $20,000. The interest rate is 5 percent.

Federal Stafford Loan - These are government loans and can be unsubsidized or subsidized. The amount awarded varies by the need and classification of the student. Loans must be repaid.

Financial Aid - Aid both the government and college gives a student if he or she is eligible.

Grant - Money received, based on need, that you do not repay.

GSL - Federal Stafford Loan Program

Loan - Money borrowed that you must repay with interest. Some loans are based on need.

OHLAP - Oklahoma Higher Learning Access Program - This grant is awarded during 8th, 9th and 10th grades. For more OHLAP information, talk to your high school guidance counselor or visit

OTAG - Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant Program - This is a need-based grant for Oklahoma undergraduates enrolled full or half time at eligible colleges.

Pell Grants - Funds provided to every eligible student. These funds do not have to be repaid.

PLUS - These are loans parents take out to help students pay for college. Graduates and professional degree students are now eligible to borrow under the PLUS program.

Regular Student Employment - These are campus jobs that do not require that students qualify for financial aid.

SEOG - Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants - This type of grant is for students with considerable need. They do not need to be repaid. Amounts awarded range from $100 to $4000 per year.

subsidized - The U.S. Department of Education pays interest accrued on subsidized loans while students are enrolled at least half time.

unsubsidized - Interest accrues from the time the loan is disbursed until the loan is paid in full. Student may choose to pay the interest quarterly or they can allow the interest to accrue and be added to the principal amount of their loan.

Oklahoma's Promise

OKPromise, is a unique program established by the Oklahoma Legislature that offers qualified Oklahoma students an opportunity to earn a scholarship for college tuition. 

College Student Requirements

All Oklahoma's Promise students in college must meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements set by the college.  If you become ineligible for federal financial aid (like Pell grants or student loans) for failure to make SAP, you will also not receive Oklahoma's Promise.  This requirement applies to all Oklahoma's Promise students, even if the student is not currently receiving federal financial aid and regardless of the year the student started college.  The SAP requirements include minimum GPA standards and minimum standards for completing courses in which the student enrolls.  If you are not familiar with the SAP requirements at East Central University, view the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.  If you have a specific question, please contact the financial aid office for more details.

Read the details of the requirements in the FAQ for college students.  The FAQ includes additional helpful information as well.

2012 High School Graduates and Thereafter

Effective for Oklahoma's Promise college students receiving the award for the first time in 2012-13 and thereafter, a minimum college GPA of 2.00 is required for courses taken through the sophomore year and a minimum 2.50 GPA is required for courses taken during the junior year and thereafter.  Students not meeting the required GPA requirements will lose eligibility for the Oklahoma's Promise award.  Students are responsible for understanding how the minimum GPA's are calculated and when the award benefits will be lost.

Read the details for the requirements in the FAQ for college students.

ECU Office of Financial Aid