Welcome to the home page for Vocal Music at East Central University! Thank you for visiting. Here you will find information about our vocal ensembles, degree plans, and scholarships and auditions. For upcoming Vocal Music concerts and events, please see the Music Department Calendar. A listing of our Vocal Music Faculty can be found in the Music Department Faculty Directory. Contact us anytime with any questions you may have.
"I loved every minute! The knowledge I gained, and the lifelong friendships are what I will treasure from my experience as an ECU music student and for that I am thankful." -- Morgan, 2014 Graduate, Voice
This degree prepares students for a variety of careers in music. These career include: Private Studio Instructor, Professional Musician, Composer/Arranger, etc.
Vocal Teacher Certification Concentration
This degree prepares students to become K-12 music educators.
Vocal Scholarships and Auditions
In addition to having the best academic scholarships in the state of Oklahoma, East Central University's Music Program offers many opportunities for financial assistance. In Vocal Music, we offer the following scholarships:
- All-State Scholarship: This scholarship is for any student who has participated in an All-State choral ensemble.
- Vocal Major Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded by audition and is only available to students pursuing a major in Vocal Music.
- Vocal Minor Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded by audition and is only available to students pursuing a minor in Vocal Music.
- Participation Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded by audition and is available to anyone participating in one of East Central University's choral ensembles.
For more information or to schedule an audition, contact Dr. Steven Walker at 580-559-5473 or email@example.com.
Vocal with Elective in Business
This degree program is meant for those seeking careers in the music industry. Possible career fields include: Talent Agent, Concert Promoter, Music Business Consultant, Record Company Executive, Music Publisher, Tour Coordinator, etc. This degree is fulfilled by completing a Bachelor of Science in Instrumental Music with a Minor in Business Administration for Music Majors.
Minor in Business Administration for Music Majors - 070D
One of the following:
- ACCT 2003 Fin & Mgrl Acct for Non-Bus Majors
- BUS 1113 Intro to Business
- MGMT 3013 Principles of Management
- MIS 1903 Computer Business Applications
- MKTG 3313 Principles of Marketing
- MKTG 3353 Retailing and eBusiness Management
Three hours Accounting or Business Administration. Upper Level courses or COMM 3243 (ORGL courses do not count as Electives).
Minimum Total: 18 Hours
This degree is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music. The standards for this accreditation can be viewed on the NASM website here.
The ECU Chorale was recently ranked in a tie for 25th place in the Mixed Chorus Division by Interkultur, the largest organizer of amateur choir contests in the world. Annually, Interkultur ranks the top 1,000 choirs in the world that compete in various categories. The ECU Chorale tied with a choir from Latvia. Only four other choirs from the U.S. were ranked higher than ECU.