A PROGRAM OF OPPORTUNITY
The purpose of the East Central University Upward Bound Program is to generate in students the academic skills and motivation necessary for success in education beyond high school.
Upward Bound benefits students by providing them with the opportunity for:
- academic enrichment
- cultural enrichment
- career exploration
- social interaction
- personal development
- campus living experience
- college going experience
The East Central University Upward Bound’s mission is to ensure that its students graduate high school and succeed in the pursuit of their post-secondary education by providing college preparatory instruction, leadership training, cultural and service learning enrichment.
Regular Upward Bound students attend a residential 6 weeks' summer session on the ECU campus designed to simulate a college-going experience which includes:
- Instruction in subjects emphasizing the basic academic skills essential for success in education beyond high school
- Instruction and activities to acquaint students with a range of career options
- Field trips to recreational, educational and occupational sites
- Social activities, including dances, skating, bowling, and movies
All students will move in on Sunday, June 3rd, 2018. Camp will end on July 13th, 2018.
Upward Bound participating high school graduates who qualify are enrolled as beginning college freshman the summer following high school graduation.
The purpose of the bridge component is to provide students with services and activities that aid in the transition from high school to post secondary education, such as:
- enrollment for college credit
- academic advisement
- financial aid assistance
- study skills/motivational workshops